Re: questions about interfaces

From: David Cuthbert <dacut@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:55:53 -0700

Bill Hacker wrote:
David Cuthbert wrote:
Heh... imagine if the loopback interface actually required hardware.

Imagine? 'Remember when' you mean...

It exists because there was a time when hardware *was* required, and one did not always have arms long enough...

I remember using (and still use) this for modems and serial ports (doing local and remote loopback tests), but never in the context of an IP loopback connection. This is probably because all of my experience with IP/TCP/UDP has been on top of a OS+stack that someone else wrote and debugged, running on hardware that wasn't too terribly esoteric.