Re: question about sendmail

From: John Duncan <agley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:52:00 +1000

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 09:33:19AM +0200, Saverio Iacovelli wrote:
> After the installation, DFly OS have got a active
> sendmail server.
> 1) Does it need to configure a DNS server for sending
> email with mail client and sendmail?
> 2) Can sendmail works in indipendent way from DNS
> server?
>
> Regards,
> Saverio

    Hi Saverio,
                If you run

         # /usr/sbin/sendmail -d0.1 -bv

                 on a default build of DragonFly you will see NAMED_BIND
in the output. I use sendmail as a client on a standalone machine and must
say that once, to try to cut down system building time I put NO_BIND=true
in my /etc/make.conf.

                 I could no longer send mail after this and returned to
building BIND when building the system. I don't know if this was cause
and effect because I don't run BIND I just build it to keep Sendmail happy,
just in case.

                                     Hope this helps,
                                        John Duncan
--
The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley                                   Robert Burns 1785