perl crashes during build of pkgsrc/metacity

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:47:30 -0700

Well, I've spent several days on this problem.  I've
learned more about perl than I ever thought I would
know, but I've barely made a beginning :o(

Here is the background:

When I try to build metacity from pkgsrc, I get a
reproducible 'bus error' (and a coredump) from perl
while intltool-merge is processing the file 'dz.po'
(intltool-merge is a perl script).

Using the perl debugger I've narrowed the problem
down to one line of perl code while it is processing
one specific part of the dz.po file.  (A regexp task.)

Before I spend any more time on this problem, I'd like
to know if anyone else can reproduce it.

I'm running the latest DragonFly-current and the latest
pkgsrc-current.  I've tried re-compiling both perl and
metacity several times with no improvement.

BTW, my last reinstall of perl flunked the 'POSIX'
test during 'bmake test'.  Any ideas?

Thanks!