evolution of cpdup

From: Saverio Iacovelli <iacovelli_mail@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:34:09 +0200 (CEST)

I read in DFly digest about changes in cpdup for
remote incremental backup as rsync and other tools.

I would know if the cpdup method for remote
synchronization is different from other method.
In fact, there a lot of tools for remote incremental
backup.

A remote synchronization implemented in kernel space
is a very good idea to support high availability
clustering.
The problem of rsync is that it don't provide a good
synchronization when there are more then two computer.
Rsync is the better choice only when there are two
computers.

In my opinion:

1) cpdup should be easy to use already a number of
computer superior at two

2) cpdup should allow to synchronize a lot of
computers at the same time, keeping the same
perfomance as when there are only two computers

3) it could be interesting to compare the different
protocols and methods, then to implement the better
method for remote

synchonization

Below I writed some web page for alternative rsync
tools:

1) zsync, http://zsync.moria.org.uk/
2) tsync, http://zsync.moria.org.uk/
3) rdist, http://www.magnicomp.com/rdist/ (rdist is a