Re: Just obtained a wireless NIC

From: "Sepherosa Ziehau" <sepherosa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:46:38 +0800

On 8/22/06, Petr Janda <elekktretterr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Sephe,
Thanks for the reply. I got it working.

:-)

In regards to rc.conf are there any examples on how to put SSID, WEP key, etc into rc.conf?

ifconfig_acx0="ssid your_ssid wepmode on wepkey 0x?????????? weptxkey 1"

Im actually using wpa_supplicant and it was a breeze. Perhaps the simplest way to make wpa_supplicant daemon start during boot would be by

FreeBSD seems to have ifconfig_acx0="WPA ..." Don't what NetBSD has, but I think we may need to keep close to NetBSD for rc script

putting it in rc.local I guess? Though a standalone rc script would be
nice. Are there any plans?

No plan currently.

Another quesiton. Is it possible to get above 48Mbps? This card should do 54Mbps I believe.

 media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (OFDM/48Mbps)

Rate is set by a very primitive rate control function in acx(4) driver, it can reach 54Mbit/s given the env is well enough, and it will drop if it suffers packet lossing. It does not work very well though. But be patient, a better generic rate control system is on its way :-)

Best Regards,
sephe

--
Live Free or Die