Re: Not sure how to do this tricky install...

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:11:20 +0800

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
I'm sure this isn't difficult, it's just a little more complex than I've done,
and I need the DFly specific way.

I have a spare box I want to use for DFLy as a server.  It will be totally
headless.  It will plug into a home broadband gateway/router, and should be
accessible by other machines on the same router.

The tricky part is since this machine is not the gateway/router, how do I set
it up to be accessible from other machines on the network?  Is it as simple as
/etc/hosts?

In any case, is it possible to start the install with a keyboard, but then
move to another machine and ssh in to finish?

Jonathon McKitrick
--
My other computer is your Windows box.

Presuming 'headless' means there is not now, or may not in future, even be a graphics adaptor present, my way is to install a very generic kernel to a storage device (HDD, CF, whatever..) using a machine that DOES have a VGA, CRT, keyboard. Set up /etc/rc.conf, assigning DHCP or fixed IP, set up /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, *set a root password*, *add at least one wheel account*, insure you can ssh in, test everything, etc.

THEN:

- edit /etc/ttys and enable at least one serial console:

ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" dialup on insecure

We globally change all 'secure' to 'insecure' at the same time.
boot -s will need the root pw. Keeps remote site-techs honest.

- creat /boot.config with "-P", or if *never* to be keyboard or VGA "-h".

Make sure all this works through a reboot or three.

Shutdown, move the storage device to your 'headless' SBC or MB.

- optionally attach a serial terminal (I use an HP-200-LX) or null-modem cable to the serial port on another PC or laptop.

- ELSE just boot it, try pinging it, ssh in a few seconds after pings start being returned.

You may then use ssh to build a custom kernel, etc.

Our rackmount servers typically go their entire lives this way, with MB changes HDD replacement, OS upgrades, etc.

HTH,

Bill Hacker