Re: OT: embedded arm

From: Oliver Fromme <check+j3boe100rss3bdiv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01 Aug 2006 14:14:09 GMT

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > The main advantage of NetBSD in that area is that it
 > > runs on many non-i386 processors, such as ARM, which
 > > are very common in small embedded devices (and cheap
 > > if ordered in large quantities).
 >
 > I wonder how powerful an arm7/arm9 needs to be to play mp3s and
 > oggs from network/disk.  This would be a nice project to design
 > and build...

I can't answer that, but the AdvanTech PCM-5820 that I
mentioned takes about 50% of the CPU (a 233 MHz Geode
which is Pentium-compatible) to play mp3 files via NFS.
The board has the size of a 3.5" disk drive, and the
fanless power supply has the same size.  I have built
it into the case of an old Sony CD player (from eBay):
http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/cantaro/case/dcp_2637.jpg

Best regards
   Oliver