Re: Another annoying dvd playback bug

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:32:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, July 31, 2006 8:33 am, walt wrote:
> Petr Janda wrote:
>> Well Ive never had the compiler segfaulting in Linux or FreeBSD on the
>> same box...
>
> My first experience with FreeBSD was just like that -- I'd get random
> segfaults while compiling big packages on FreeBSD, but never on linux
> on the same machine.  It turned out to be inadequate cooling -- I
> added a case fan and the problem disappeared.  Looking back, I can
> recall that the linux was Debian and so I never compiled much under
> linux, but I was constantly running the compiler on FBSD.

Same thing with me - I had a FreeBSD system that would get type 11 errors,
usually when building world.  I put Windows on it and set it up for my
wife, and the problems went away.

With my wife's usage patterns and the all-binary nature of Windows, it
probably wasn't even using the same areas of hardware as FreeBSD was.  If
I was developing software on that machine, under Windows, it probably
would have been a different story.