Re: Compaq Evo boot problem

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 23:55:21 -0700 (PDT)

    Again, in case the information got lost in the shuffle... before
    messing with any DMA modes just try telling the BIOS to put the
    disk in 'Large' mode.

    The problem is that the BIOS misinterprets the slice table and
    puts the disk into a strange mode that the boot code cannot
    get it out of.  Its got to be a bug in the BIOS since packet mode
    (which the boot code uses to read data from the disk) is supposed
    to be independant of the disk access mode.

    I'm sure that there's a tweak we can do to fdisk and boot0cfg
    that will fix the BIOS's misdetection, but I have no idea what.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>