Locked out - need a little help (caution: n00b meter on high!)

From: Gergo Szakal <bastyaelvtars@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 07:53:22 -0600

Yeah, I was stupid. I have set the default shell to /usr/pkg/bin/bash
and started an upgrade of packages in the evening which has removed bash
as well, obviously. All would have been good if DragonFly didn't spit
out some race error (v 1.5.4 yet, was just about to start
buildworld/buildkernel for 1.6.0, of course I cannot report it :-P)
making the build processes fail somewhere, leaving me with no bash
installed but bash as default shell for my root account and regular
account as well. If I follow the instructions at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/admin.html#FORGOT-ROOT-PW

, then when I chsh, vi does not display things properly (will fiddle
around with this later of course, if I cannot help it any other way, I'm
just in a hurry now), so I cannot edit the info. All I could find out is
to get the bash package written to some removable medium and install it
from there. Is there some other, simpler way - perhaps involving the livecd?