Re: Cannot mount / when booting from disk

From: Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:05:11 +0200

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 09:56:21AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Francois Tigeot wrote:
> :> Hi,
> :>
> :> I have recently tried to install Dragonfly-1.6 on a SATA based machine
> :> (Asus A8V-E-SE, VIA 8237 chipset, 74 GB Raptor). Everything went fine
> :> during the installation.
> :>
> :> When booting from the hard disk, the kernel is unable to mount /
> :>
> :> Here are the most important error messages (recopied by hand, they may not
> :> be completely accurate) :
> :>
> :> 	Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
> :> 	ad4: cannot find label (no disk label)
> :> 	ad4s1: cannot find label (no disk label)
> :> 	Root mount failed: 22
> :
> :Is your kernel recognizing the SATA controller (dmesg)?  Are you
> :using the same kernel on the hard disk as on the CD?

The disk is marked as 'UDMA133' in dmesg, but appart from that it seems to
be well recognized.

>     The most common problem is with BIOSes which try to automatically
>     recognize the operating system and then put the disk in a weird mode
>     that prevents the OS from being able to access the disk.
>
>     Go into your BIOS config and push into the hard drive config.  See
>     if you can select the access mode for the hard drive.  e.g. 'auto',
>     'large', 'lba', or 'cha'.  Try putting it in 'large' mode (if it has
>     that selection), else 'lba' mode.

Thanks, putting the disk in 'large' mode did the trick.

I have now a working installation of Dragonfly, and I must say I am
impressed by this new version. So far, every component of this machine is
working nicely.

What's more, beeing able to parallelize compilations with pkgsrc is great.

Keep up the good work !

--
Francois Tigeot