Re: NVIDIA FreeBSD Kernel Feature Requests, interesting info for dfly?

From: Dimitri Kovalov <dimitri_kovalov@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 06:26:36 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dimitri Kovalov wrote:
> <cut>
> >
> > You have it backwards. The reason BSD is all 'black
> boxes'
> > is that it is not competitive or good in the video
> area.
> > Apple can make it work because they sell the whole box
> and
> > can control the hardware. But the open-source OSes
> don't
> > have the resources to support video. It would be a good
> > thing to have a model where vendors could easily take
> their
> > windows drivers and make them work with BSD as a
> module.
> > You know that vendors will make drivers for windows, so
> > making it easy for them to port to your OS is good for
> > everytone.
> >
> > Its time for open sourcers to realize they can't do
> > everything themselves. I don't care if a driver is
> binary
> > if it works. I want to have options.
> >
> > Dimitri
> >

> A binary driver on a system doing public services?
> Not on my box! That's about the most important reasons
> why my windows
> servers are always in a DMZ and my OSS boxes are mostly
> not. But for
> anything else I'll say yes that would be convenient.
> However I lost the
> faith in manufactures creating good drivers, whether they
> are windows or
> anything else, but I guess that most manufacturers don't
> want to provide
> too much specs or source because then it's quite easy to
> see what a mess
> they sometimes make of their hardware.

You sound like cynical girl who no longer dates because she
was hurt by a man. And its clear you've never been a
vendor, since you don't understand

Vendors don't release source for 3 reasons (at least):

1) To protect their hardware from cloners.
2) To protect their investment in the software development
(not really true for video drivers usually)
3) To assure that all customers are running the same
product so that they can support them. I know vendor who
release source, and customers modify, and they they
complain about problems and not tell vendor that they made
changes. Its just impossible. There are too many bad
hackers.

The truth is that 99% of customers can't do anything with
source anyway. Which is the problem with BSD. Its only
usable but hackers because its so hard to make the videos/X
stuff work. And most 'BSD circles tell you to "fix it
yourself, you have source', which is bad marketing. No
commercial concern want to use something like that.

There are good vendors. Vendors that write bad drivers, you
don't buy from them anymore. Its very easy.

Dimitri