Re: High interrupt CPU usage in top

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 13:51:11 -0700 (PDT)

:Well, world and kernel just finished compiling, without INVARIANTS, and
:there's no difference. Infact, it seems worse... but it's probably the
:same. I guess I should keep INVARIANTS in for debugging in case of panics?
:
:http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1571/interrupt3eg.jpg
:
:40% and very few interrupts? That was just starting out compiling
:`mysql4-server`.

    INVARIANTS is pretty light weight, it won't make much of a difference.

    Try doing some basic tests to exercise JUST the network adapter, like
    running a 'ping -i 0.1 <target>'.  And some tests to exercise JUST your
    hard disk, like doing a few cpdup's or a tar or something.

    If its the disk, check your dmesg output to whether the ATA driver is
    using DMA or not.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>