Re: Impressions on DFly and other questions

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 15:29:54 -0400 (EDT)

> 1) I didn't found the openssl and openssh packages in
> pkgsrc, in the second moment I observed l'existence of
> the /etc/ssh and /etc/ssl directories. Are openssl and
> openssh packages in the base system for default? What
> is the reason of this choice.
> 2) Why not to create openssl and sendmail packages for
> to separe this functions and base system. OpenSSL or
> sendmail, they aren't functionalities always required.
> 3) What is the reason for the presence both ipfw and
> pf in the base system, it is a unnecessary redundancy.

OpenSSH is in the system by default because it's considered useful.  IPFW
and PF are both in the system because the FreeBSD-4 origins of DragonFly
only had IPFW, PF was added later, and nobody removed IPFW yet.  It
doesn't hurt to have both firewalls in the system.

OpenSSL and Sendmail (and other system parts) are not separated out as
packages because the system can't be pulled apart into separate packages
like NetBSD does.  There's been some discussion of doing this or not.