Re: Any serious production servers yet?

From: "Freddie Cash" <fcash-ml@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 13:02:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, May 31, 2006 11:50 am, Danial Thom wrote:
> --- Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Er.  Well, if I were talking about today I would be talking about
>> today. I'm talking about the near-future, 2-3 years from now.  It
>> would be the height of stupidity to have programming goals that
>> only satisfy the needs of today.

> It might be the "height of stupidity", but it takes 2-3 years to
> convince people that you have something worth using, even if you have
> something great, so are you prepared to wait 4-5 to have a mainstream
> O/S? Once you get the groundwork done, you should ramp up to be
> production quality so you can get some noteworthy people using the
> O/S in real-world servers. Then you can keep it stable and work in
> your roadmap.

> We're approaching a critical point where a lot of companies are going
> to start looking to move into MP who haven't been there before.
> Saying you'll have something really great in 2 years isn't going to
> get people involved with the project.

> Your project will move ahead at an exponential pace once you get more
> funding and more important people working on it. You can't do that
> with an OS that can't be used by anyone with the money to contribute.
> You're thinking like an engineer, and not a marketeer. Its sort of

Thank god for that.  It's about time!!  There are two many OSes out
there that are managed by the marketing dept.  Marketers should not
get involved with an OS at the get go, or even in the first few years.
 We need more engineers working on OSes, not more marketing droids and
script kiddies testing out their compiler for the first time.

:D