Re: Any serious production servers yet?

From: "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 20:52:44 +0200

Danial Thom wrote:
<cut>

As of NOW, the price differential between a single core 2.6ghz Opteron and a dual-core one is about 120%. I can't think of many applications that are going to push a 2.6Ghz opteron that justify spending more than twice as much. Of course that's all going to change in a few months when AMD loses their advantage. I don't see the point of using a dual-core 2.0 when I can get equal performance from a single 2.6 for less money. So the price drops so far are meaningless, given the OS's ability to utilize the cpus.

DT

I think you hit the nail with that one, the only reason I going to buy an AMD x2 is because xp feels more responsive, for all the other things, since the 1ghz barrier was broken anything (for my usage) was fast enough, of course this is desktop usage, on my servers I recently have used VMWare to centralize a lot of servers (9) to a quad cpu machine because most of them where eating out of there nose anyway. Saves me a fortune in electricity ;-) I am eager to see how ever how xen would develop out with using the new virtualization technique in both the newer AMD and Intel CPU's. I for one like to ditch VMWare.

--
mph