Re: Puzzling error messages from 'make'

From: YONETANI Tomokazu <qhwt+dfly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 10:11:57 +0900

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 05:38:18PM +0200, Thomas Schlesinger wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 3. Mai 2006 21:49 schrieb walt:
> > I've been trying for two days to build firefox from pkgsrc,
> > but the build always halts with this error which I can't
> > decipher:
> >
> > ranlib libjsurl_s.a
> > /usr/pkgsrc/www/firefox/work/mozilla/config/nsinstall -R -m 644
> > libjsurl_s.a ./../../dist/lib
> > make[4]: Leaving directory
> > `/usr/pkgsrc/www/firefox/work/mozilla/dom/src/jsurl' make[4]: write error
>
> <snip>
>
> Walt,
>
> I've had "write errors" while building packages via pkgsrc, too (on other
> packages, not firefox). I had enough space left on /usr, too.
>
> I don't know about the cause for this problem, but for me, it helped often
> (always?) to do a "bmake install clean" again without doing a "bmake clean"
> before.

If you're running -DEVELOPMENT, try rebuilding gmake; it reproduced
here with gmake built on Apr. 12, but not after reinstalling gmake.
I'm not sure which change(s) caused gmake to malfunction, but many
things have changed since then.
As for the command name not being gmake, the firefox package uses
a symlink wrappers (look at work/.tools/bin) to probably cope with
hard-coded command names in the original build scripts.
  $ echo 'foo:; @echo foo' > Makefile
  $ ln -s /usr/pkg/bin/gmake make
  $ ./make

Hope this helps.