Re: installing DFly over third partition

From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:10:42 +0200 CEST

Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     Just as a side note here, anyone trying to install DragonFly
>     onto a machine with other partitions should ALWAYS do a full
>     backup of their disk, bit-for-bit, since clearly it is possible
>     to accidently wipe other partitions during the install.
>
>     One easy way to do this would be to purchase an external USB hard
>     drive (preferably usb2.0) large enough to hold the data, boot the
>     DragonFly CD, and (carefully) use dd to make a bit-for-bit copy
>     to the external drive.

It could be nice having the BSD Installer offer some back-up
options, like saving a few files, a partition, or all disk, to what-
ever media is available. Some other raw disk, a file, network
share, cd/dvd, email ;)

That way, people (me included) would have no excuse
not to take the safe route.

Just an idea.

/Jonas Sundström.             www.kirilla.com