Re: Desktopcluster

To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:09:21 +0100

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    Yah.  Blades with MP cpus or multi-core capable cpus on them.  Just
    a blade server, then.   The difference between blade based clustering
    and the type of clustering that we want to do is that we want to be
    able to cluster efficiently over a LAN or WAN (i.e. not depend on an
    extremely high speed link between the nodes in the cluster).  That's
    what the cache coherency infrastructure is going to be all about.

Hmm,

from time to time I try to imagine how it would be when DragonFly's clustering became reality.

Is the goal to be able to just stick in a new DragonFly box and then the power of the "cluster machine" increases? I mean, I wonder if there would be any configuration requirements for new machines in the cluster.

Or would it be enough to just stick a network card into a random machine, compile with "options CLUSTER", connect to the network and voila? :)

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx