Re: Speeding up networking, worth a read.

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 17:46:09 +0100

Miguel Filipe wrote:
I think the dragonflyBSD team must read this, and apply the same
principles to make the DFly networking stack "super-hot".

of course we already read this paper. i quickly discussed this with matt, and i think we agree that we don't feel comfortable with a tcp stack in userland. on the other hand, having the stuff van jacobson implemented in dragonfly to try out is something else, but i doubt it would go into cvs.

we already do batch processing, basically. i think bsds always did this due to the soft interrupt nature (i might be horribly wrong there). while VJ shows some impressive numbers, i'm not sure how they would apply to dragonfly. but in case you are eager to implement this, don't let me stop you! it might turn out to be reall cool[tm], but e.g. for tcp we already do something simmilar. we don't use these lock-free lists, but we queue messages to ports.

but of course i appreciate your heads-up to this paper! maybe you want to play with the network stack a little bit?

cheers
  simon