Re: NVIDIA driver

From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:54:05 +0100

Op dinsdag 14 februari 2006 16:08, schreef Justin C. Sherrill:
> On Tue, February 14, 2006 7:27 am, Emiel Kollof wrote:
> > I think I'm the most qualified to answer this, assuming you are talking
> > about
> > the driver for Xorg ;)
> >
> > Short answer: No.
>
> What are our choices for 3D at this point, then?  Radeon cards < R300,
> Intel i8xx chipsets, some SiS cards?  I think the i740 was accelerated
> too...

I guess... Whatever DRM and Xorg support natively. That's a big list, but it
doesn't include the latest and greatest from nVidia and ATI.

<rant>

I myself feel a bit let down by nVidia. That they decide to not include
support for DragonFly I understand, but the fact that me or Joerg don't even
hear a single thing anymore from them about this issue kinda rubs me the
wrong way. I mean, it went off to a good start, letting me have access to
prerelease stuff so I could bang at it, asking how they could help support
us. But now we basically have nothing at all and inquiries I send seem to get
ignored.

One of the reasons for not supporting us they cited before is that they don't
want to invest the man-hours in supporting (yet) another platform, but they
did for Solaris (which also uses a very different driver framework than ours.
Ours more resembles FreeBSD and should be way easier to port over). How many
people does anyone know that seriously uses an (Open)Solaris desktop for 3d
acceleration with nVidia gfx hardware? Many more than DragonFlyBSD? I really
don't know about that though... But I'm digressing.

I can make time to port things over. I know I can do it too. They don't have
to invest anything, they just have to let me sign some document that I don't
disclose anything that's not supposed to be disclosed and I can track
whatever they release, and release it for dfbsd as well. For free. Why?
Because I just want my damn card to work the way I want. And I'm even
prepared to do it by their terms and conditions.

(doesn't take away that I never understood why driver source should be closed
like this. I can understand firmware to be closed up, but driver code?)

</rant>

Cheers,
Emiel
--
But, for my own part, it was Greek to me.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"