Re: pkg_chk replacement?

From: joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:55:24 +0100

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 06:34:35PM +0000, Csaba Henk wrote:

>   There is currently only one method (to my knowledge) of updating
>   packages in in pkgsrc - using make update (which is what pkg_chk -u does
>   aswell). Unfortunately, it will begin by removing all packages that
>   require the package being updated.
>   [...]
>   pkgmanager attempts to alleviate these problems by upgrading all
>   packages "in place" without needing to remove all packages that require
>   the package being upgraded.

And this behaviour is exactly what I wouldn't want to use on a server,
since it means a lot more russian roulete (e.g. are minimum requirements
correctly specified? did the ABI of a package really stay consistent
etc.). Enough developers don't fully understand ABI issues, that's why
"(b)make replace" is and always will be marked as dangerous.

Joerg