Re: Debugging device drivers

From: Doudou <doudou@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11 Jan 2006 23:06:06 GMT

On 2006-01-11, joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> First of all, get a console to play sound like mad123 or so. Second, do
> you have your device settings (IRQ, DMA, ...)? You need to add two
> entries your kernel config:
> device pcm
> device snd_sbc0 at isa? ...
>
> where "..." are the configuration parameters. You can change them via
> the kernel config (boot -c).
>
> Joerg

OK, i'm trying this way at the moment.

As a side note, what confused me is the following:
- pcm(4), aka snd(4) states:
    "For a card with bridge driver support, and a PnP card:
     device pcm

     For a card without bridge driver support, and a non-PnP card:
     device pcm0 at isa? port? irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15"

- sbc(4) on the other hand:
    "For PnP cards:
     device sbc

     For non-PnP cards:
     device sbc0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15"

- and the last comes straight from LINT:
    "# Basic PCM support, needed for all sound card:
    device          pcm
    # For PnP/PCI sound cards:
    device          snd
    # For non-pnp sound cards:
    device          snd0 at isa? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0"

Is there something seriously outdated on my system, or does the tree
need a bit of a clean-up ?

Francis.