Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD pkgsrc binaries and manuals being moved

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 20:08:55 +0100

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 10:46:34AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :I wouldn't install them at all and effectively just invert NO_PKGTOOLS.
> :Yes, we have to convert the BSD installer packages, but that shouldn't
> :be a problem.
>
>     Its no skin off our noses to leave it in its own directory for one
>     release cycle, and a lot more of a hassle for a user who needs it to
>     have to manually build it.  Therefore we are going to move it to its
>     own directory for one release cycle.

Well, there are two important questions to solve. Where do we want to
put the pkg database by default? If we continue to ship the old tools,
using /var/db/pkg is not a good idea. Moving it somewhere else is not
nice for all those who don't intend to use ports at all. The other
question is how much support for a mixed configuration we want to give.
If we install both, it is some kind of blessing already.

This is not about disllowing the installing under
/usr/freebsd_pkginstall or whatever, but about whether we install them
at all. Moving the old tools there as part of make update is fine with
me, but anyone which wants to have both has to be aware of the
consequences it brings.

This also affects the (not yet done) optional installation of
bsd.(df)ports.*.mk. It also completely ignores that pkg_install can be
obtained as binary package as well, installed under /usr/local.

Joerg