Re: Packaging Questions

From: James Frazer <jfrazer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:01:28 -0500

> If package(s) fail, pkgmanager won't upgrade packages that depend on the
> failed package(s). Depending on how major an upgrade it is, this might
> mean some software is broken until the problem is fixed, or it might mean
> things continue working, with slight version discrepancies in the
> dependency tree.

Hmmmm.  When this happens, and a big (meta)package cannot be upgraded
(gnome) due to a dependency failure, what state does this leave the
system in? Are the new packages already half installed?  Or does it
wait for all packages to be built before upgrading?

Can pkgmanager handle binary upgrades?

Basically what I'm worried about is ending up with a system that
has half the dependencies upgraded -- and being forced to downgrade
them all by hand to get things working again.