Re: Packaging Questions

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 01:56:40 +0200

> > 2.  Are there any upgrade mechanisms for pkgsrc that will be able
> > to handle upgrading big/convoluted things (gnome) without blowing
> > up and creating a giant mess that needs to be manually fixed?
>
> I heard pkgmanager should be able to do so.  I guess walt can talk
> about this more.

pkgmanager is good for exactly that, though it's not perfect (yet
anyway...). Assuming the gnome packages in question are in working
order individually (as they appear in the tree at the time of the
attempted upgrade), there should not be any problems.

If package(s) fail, pkgmanager won't upgrade packages that depend on
the failed package(s). Depending on how major an upgrade it is, this
might mean some software is broken until the problem is fixed, or it
might mean things continue working, with slight version discrepancies
in the dependency tree.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@xxxxxxxxx
E-Mail: peter.schuller@xxxxxxxxxxxx Web: http://www.scode.org