Re: Unexpected device names

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:50:02 -0700 (PDT)

:
:Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
:> What kind of disk controller do you have?  I've seen the DFLTFPHYS message
:> before with some older models of SCSI controller, though I've never seen
:> the disks named in hex.
:>
:
:This is on a 3ware 9500s-12 using the twa driver on 1.3.7-PREVIEW. If
:you grep the source, you will find that very few of the disk controllers
:set dev_t->si_iosize_max, so you will almost always get these warnings
:from these controllers in kern/kern_physio.c::physio.
:
:Back to my original point, the minor is printed in hex if the device
:does not have its name set, as can be seen in
:kern/kern_conf.c::devtoname. Is this similar the si_iosize_max problem?
:Are some drivers simply incomplete, and not setting the device name as
:they should?
:
:- Jason

    Nah, its because of some work I did last year to propogate maximum
    I/O block sizes upwards from the device instead of hardcoding it
    in the kernel.  I did about half the work, set up the defaults, but
    didn't get around to converting the drivers.  This was because,
    at the time, I wanted to figure out what the drivers could actually do.

    In anycase, its a harmless warning, just ignore it.  We'll get the
    drivers fixed at some point.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>