Packaging Questions

From: James Frazer <jfrazer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:49:41 -0500

I know there have been a million packaging debates, but I have a
few questions that I'm still unclear on:

1.  Are there still plans to:
     a) package up the base system? (like how it's done in linux)
     b) extend pkgsrc to use VFS environments?

2.  Are there any upgrade mechanisms for pkgsrc that will be able
to handle upgrading big/convoluted things (gnome) without blowing
up and creating a giant mess that needs to be manually fixed?

3.  Are the goals on packaging (as explained on the website)
still the same, or have they changed?  What can end users expect
in regards to this?

Thanks.