Re: 12GB RAM with DfBSD?

To: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 16:29:58 +0100

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 02:42:10PM +0200, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:

how did it work on alpha then?

How many Alphas do you know with more than 4 GB RAM? :-)

Joerg

To answer both questions, there are Alpha machines with large physical memory sizes but only upto 4GB was addresseable. Entry level systems support up to 8GB and high end systems can support up to 512GB. The person who could really answer these questions is Wilko Bulte. :-)

I am pretty sure of this fact (only 4GB addresseable) but I don't mind being corrected as I have only worked on Alpha systems about 8 times so far.

In fact, the kernel will only be able to use about 1 to 2G of that since it is partitioned for the userspace as well. In anycase, this discussion is moot because we are not planning to support the Alpha platform because last I checked it was discontinued.

				Hiten Pandya
				hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx