Re: Purpose of lukemftpd?

From: "Thomas E. Spanjaard" <tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 15:40:02 +0200

Marcin Jessa wrote:
On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 00:44:54 +0200
Simon Schubert <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 06.09.2005, at 00:37, Matthew Dillon wrote:
No, we are not putting anything based on lukemftpd n our tree. It's
way too complex and has historically contained root-compromising bugs.
I want our base system ftpd to be as simple as possible.

I agree that the default ftpd should be simple.
Please correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know NetBSD's ftpd does not support SSL.
Wouldn't bsdftpd-ssl be a more appropriate software for a modern O.S ?

I think that the ftpd in base should only run from inetd, as you'll start looking for alternatives anyway if on the search for a serious FTP daemon. Therefore, SSL issues are a feature, not a requirement, and as such shouldn't be in base.

Cheers,
--
		-- Thomas E. Spanjaard
		   tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx