Re: UFS filesystem size limit

From: David Cuthbert <dacut@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 00:52:44 -0700

Chris Csanady wrote:
I've watched ReiserFS crash and burn in horribly bad ways that the
resulting fsck upon reboot took a long weekend to complete.
Was this on an ATA disc by chance? I imagine that this sort of file
system would be extremely fragile with write caching. That aside, I
don't see why (in theory) the filesystem should be any more susceptible
to damage than similar systems without fixed-location metadata.

ATA disk (Raidzone box, if you're familiar with them). As near as I could tell, it is (was?) just QoI issues with Reiser.

We also had horrible issues with FlexLM and Reiser (as in "FlexLM won't run when you have / mounted on a ReiserFS volume") at Cadence. Nobody could ever figure out why. Thankfully, we didn't have to try to support such a configuration (license manager bugs were nightmares for users and developers alike).