Re: user/group admin tools

From: "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:26:43 -0700

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 01:17:47AM +0000, Tom hummel wrote:
> > :		- Liam J. Foy
> >
> >     From the dicussion so far it looks like we want these.  We may not
> >     be able to immediately remove the old utilities, especially since I'm
> >     sure a lot of scripts use them, but the new ones have got a lot of
> >     things going for them and I think we want to shift focus to them.
>
> I remember the first encounter with 'pw', which wasn't a bad experience
> at all. At this time, I only knew Linux/Solaris useradd userdel etc.
> There was something about Linux that I disliked alot, it was the
> existence of useradd adduser groupadd addgroup...
>
> Having to look into the manpage of the one I suspected to be the one I
> expected to be, was nothing but annoying. 'pw' came in very handy
> because no dork could strole in, call it 'wp' and slightly changed the
> way it's doing the same job.
>
> conclusion: I like 'pw'
>
> tom

Ok, but pw also lets you say pw adduser/useradd/groupadd/addgroup, so
while the documentation may stick to one convention, your best buddy
might not. The point of having these tools separately available is that
a) we _can_ stick to having fooadd/foodel _only_, and
b) everything else has these now already.

They're all still hardlinks to the same program anyway.

--Devon