Starting a program from a command line versus clicking an icon.

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:41:41 -0700

I've written a little C program named rlc which generates
random color strings like 'rgb:a5/b3/f1' which I can use
like this to start xterm:

xterm -bg `rlc` (gives a random-light-colored background)

This works great when I type the command from an xterm
window -- but it fails when I click on a gnome or xfce
icon containing the same command.

Any idea why those two methods of starting a program
don't produce the same result?

Thanks.