Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports

From: Raphael Marmier <raphael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:37:01 +0200

Your post further clarifies things. I am also of the opinion that what is lacking are tools above the purely build/packaging layer, as long as the latter provide the necessary services.

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

As for an apt-get (or yum or up2date) replacement, we need a "available" database that lists detailed metadata about each available package. Then we need a tool to use this database to make smart decisions on ordering (deinstalls if needed) and installation. This is unrelated to pkgsrc. pkgsrc makes the packages. You provide the tool. I have provided example scripts, example databases and ideas for the "available" list.
Could you give me an url where you put these exemples and scripts?

Also, is it possible to have pkgsrc keep several installed package databases?

thanks in advance

Raphaël