Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports [debian package tools]

From: "George Georgalis" <george@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:47:01 -0400

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 07:22:57PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>    to install packages in self-contained directories, use varsyms
>    in global directories (like /usr/local/blah) to control visibility,

that's what some *huge* sites do. accept more like /usr/local/blah-1.2.5_2
on AFS (no varsyms ;-)). users are asked to build/link against current
versions when possible, and told to do so for security patches etc... as
long as it doesn't break an application that makes money.

in the same conversation, I discussed the DFLY clustered filesystem
and it's utility in such an environment. well that wasn't well revived
for a site that has 5,000 servers (for 30,000 desktops, IIRC). It seems
the problem in this environment is not the file servers to ability to dole
out the goods, but the clients ability to remain stable with lots of
network partitions, even when using AFS and a local catch.

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@xxxxxxxxx