Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports [debian package tools]

From: "Erik P. Skaalerud" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:54:32 +0200

> <4303571D.9050306@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> <43036a16$0$739$415eb37d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

As Joerg said earlier, why not rather look at _why_ people love to use
apt instead of pkg_*?

Can't we just try to make our own packaging system (like apt wich is
easy to use) wich could perhaps use packages as primary medium, but yet
provide a posibillity to compile software like we do with ports/pkgsrc?

It's just a matter of specifying in a repo that XYZ package cannot be
distrubuted binary, so it will just auto-default to compile it. And if
"power users" wants to compile their own software, they can do that if
they want to by turning on a compile-default flag instead of a standard
binary-default flag (with being able to use flags like we already do in
ports/pkgsrc)

I dont know about you other guys, but a system like this would be a
dream for me.

- Erik