Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports [debian package tools]

From: Andreas Hauser <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 17 Aug 2005 05:23:00 -0000

talon wrote @ Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:20:40 +0200:
> Andreas Hauser wrote:
> >
> > When labor is not that cheap, you need better technology
> > to accomplish similar. That is what ports/pkgsrc is. It makes
> > producing those packages much easier, so that less people
> > can produce more packages.
>
> It is not so difficult to produce Debian packages. I have played
> a lot that game to inject more recent software in woody. If the
> software has a configure script, which becomes common, running
> dh-make on the source code produces the debian subdirectory with
> debian/rules, and usually very little hacking is necessary to produce
> a working .deb.

Let's say it's about as difficult as making a port.
The difference being the port being maintained in a central cvs
while the debian source packages are, as far as i know, not.
This is like we do now. Everyone patches his own ports tree
instead of a central, shared one. As i said this is a SCM
problem mostly.

I doubt, we would be better off patching all (how many need actually
patching?) the debian source packages and keeping them in sync.

Andy