Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports

From: Tomaž Borštnar <tomaz.borstnar@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 07:20:30 +0200

Andreas Hauser wrote:
dillon wrote @ Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:27:44 -0700 (PDT):

   So the answer is no... we are going to have to move to (almost
   certainly) pkgsrc and fix whatever issues we have with it.

Well, currently ports are still better than pkgsrc.
Ports have warm feeling for us, because we use them for so long, not because they are generally best there.

And the way pkgsrc is
being forced upon us, politically instead of technically, will fail.

Read technical debates here and you will learn than pkgsrc generally has wider view of operating systems. Read freebsd-amd64 mailing list and you will learn that many ports are marked i386 only, because nobody bothered to check whether they work fine on 64bit systems as well, etc. I dont mind which packaging system we use as long as it does do the work and people use it.

It is a fact of life that FreeBSD wont adopt ports for other projects so this project would always need to play catch-the-ports game like it did in the past. With pkgsrc you have other people supporting this project as well and generally things should only improve with time because of that.

Tomaž