Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports

From: ejc <eric.j.christeson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:37:11 -0500

On 8/12/05, Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On that note, if Joerg, David and Simon have no problem I would like to
> bundle the pkgsrc bootstrap kit (not the pkgsrc tree) into the up and
> coming snapshots.
>
> It's extremely important from a user point of view to start pushing
> pkgsrc's bootstrap with the system, otherwise it is a hassle.  This would
> also imply in adding a NO_PKGTOOLS make option, for and when building
> snapshots and releases.

This sounds like an excellent idea, speaking as someone who is going
through pkgsrc / ports hell right now.  I was trying to build KDE last
night from ports and ran into a problem where libkdearts was using
some internal libtool that didn't know about -pthread.  I suppose
using pkgsrc would have worked -- hopefully.  Since it takes a good
day or two to build KDE (or anything else large) on this machine, it
would also be nice to have packages available.  I found a few sites
with them, but they all appear to be built against a DEVEL platform
which doesn't help me much as I'm running 1.2.5.
I used to be a staunch FreeBSD zealot, but DragonflyBSD has had my
interest since Matt first announced it.  Now I'm slowly migrating as
time allows, and waiting patiently to be able to contribute.  Keep up
the good work!

Eric