Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports

To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:09:12 +0100

Matthew Dillon wrote:

We are rapidly diverging from FreeBSD with regards to being able to compile the ports without modification, and have been for a while. So the answer is no... we are going to have to move to (almost certainly) pkgsrc and fix whatever issues we have with it.

-Matt

On that note, if Joerg, David and Simon have no problem I would like to bundle the pkgsrc bootstrap kit (not the pkgsrc tree) into the up and coming snapshots.

It's extremely important from a user point of view to start pushing pkgsrc's bootstrap with the system, otherwise it is a hassle. This would also imply in adding a NO_PKGTOOLS make option, for and when building snapshots and releases.

By next release, i.e. 1.4, people would have already got some form of pkgsrc bootstrap under use, thus simplyfing a whole lot of things from a migration perspective, i.e. most of the hard work of getting people to use it will be done.

It is vital that we choose and stick with a package management solution, otherwise we will be stuck in between two. Vanilla Pkgsrc will not be perfect, but it can be vastly improved upon by our own layer on top.

Thanks,

			Hiten Pandya
			hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx