Re: HEADS UP ON -DEVELOPMENT

From: Dmitri Nikulin <dnikulin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 13:01:07 +1000

Matthew Dillon wrote:

>    Joerg and I have discussed the struct stat and struct dirent changes.
>    So far the stat work has been committed and the dirent work is still
>    in progress.  This is work to increase ino_t from 32 to 64 bits and
>    nlink_t from 16 to 32 bits.

Very good news, but what is the latest news on the ezm3 and fetch issue?
Has anyone come up with a clean solution (or upstream patch) to resolve
their silly assumptions?

>    This means that both the recent work in DEVELOPMENT/HEAD and shortly
>    upcoming work will require a full recompile of everything... world,
>    plus any installed programs, and when the dirent changes go in it
>    will require another full recompile of everything.

Does not recompiling result in a unusable userland, or is COMPAT_DF12 a
good safety net until everything is recompiled? Don't suppose anyone can
think of a sure-fire way to recompile all packages from pkgsrc?

       -Dmitri Nikulin