Re: HEADS UP: Custom config and HEAD

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 17:16:52 -0700 (PDT)

:On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 04:19:13PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>     Ok, the config changes were not done the right way.  They don't handle the
:>     situation when someone is compiling up a new kernel with an older system.
:>
:>     I am going to back-out the changes to the 'config' program and instead make
:>     the option work properly via the 'mandatory' keyword in conf/files.
:
:Anyone not using buildkernel is on his own. If he uses buildkernel, he
:already has a new config, so what's the problem. I also don't like
:making such options mandatory, because they are *not* mandatory. That
:fault has been made in the past by making each and every compat code
:depend on COMPAT_43, we shouldn't repeat.
:
:Joerg

    buildkernel is based on buildworld.  If you do a buildkernel without
    refreshing your world build with buildworld it uses the old config.
    The 'nativekernel' target (which I use quite a lot), uses the system's
    native config.

    So the answer is:  No, the new config is not automatically used.

    Furthermore, it is *VERY* important that we not create more gotchas for
    our user base then necessary.  Not everyone are experts.  Regardless of
    what our goals are, *right* *now* the option is mandatory and we have
    to make sure that nobody can build a kernel without it.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>