Re: Questions about next PREVIEW

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:39:01 -0700 (PDT)

:
:On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:20:34PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
::     Going to 64 bit inodes is a necessary change.  I would have liked to have
:
:And this won't require newfs-ing anything?

    No.  UFS still uses 32 bit inodes.

:...
:Question: you've done some work with the timers, I noticed.  My laptop is
:behaving much better than before, but I've noticed that at times under heavy
:load the whole system will accelerate.  The clock speeds up, keyboard repeat
:rate is through the roof, and so on.  And I get those diagnostic messages that
:the BIOS has messed with the timer and it has been reset.
:
:Is there something I can do in my kernel config to fix this, since your recent
:timer changes?
:
:Jonathon McKitrick

    I don't know what the problem.  Your system is probably using the ACPI
    timer now which isn't supposed to change frequency when the system goes
    into a lower or higher power mode, but from reading the FreeBSD lists
    I think there's a good chance that it might be.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>