Re: BSD Installer Technology Preview (2005.0721) Available - please help test

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:08:29 -0700 (PDT)

:Scratch that last part - I was looking in the wrong place.  And scratch
:the first two lines, too - it looks like these require the build
:infrastructure to a bigger degree than I would have guessed five minutes
:ago (their own Makefiles and such)...
:
:I have reservations against maintaining what is essentially a
:specialized branch of "make upgrade" because, frankly, I barely have
:time for the installer itself.  The more integrated it can be, the
:better.
:
:Would it be possible to just bring the "etc-termcap" and "etc-rmt"
:targets into the same Makefile as "make upgrade", for example?  They
:seem trivial.  The eventual goal to be to make /usr/src/etc/Makefile
:more-or-less self-contained, and install it onto release images.
:
:I'll have to think about this and get back to you on it.
:
:-Chris

    I see two ways of doing it.  First, we can give make upgrade its own
    private Makefile in /usr/src, e.g. /usr/src/Makefile.upgrade, and
    the upgrade target in /usr/src would simply ${MAKE} -f ....  This
    would entail reworking make upgrade a bit, but I can't imagine it
    would take much effort.  The second way would simply be to replicate
    the portions of the source tree required for make ugprade to work
    on the ISO.

    I agree that we do not want to have two separate upgrade mechanisms.
    People have been pretty good at keeping 'make upgrade' working properly,
    so clearly we want to continue using the fairly simple and obvious
    Makefile format.  We definitely want there to be just one.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>