Re: pkgsrc or dfports?

From: Todd Willey <xtoddx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:28:06 -0400

On 6/11/05, Martin P. Hellwig <mhellwig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 04:25:35PM +0200, Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
> >
> >>Out of curiosity, when mixing ports+dfport & pkgsrc ports having the
> >>target directory /usr/local what great evil will happen?
> >

> > You should not mix ports and pkgsrc with the same LOCALBASE. There's
> > a reason for having /usr/pkg afterall. There's no problem on the other
> > site to have a mostly pkgsrc system with a few ports. It might just result
> > in some duplicates being installed.
> >
> > Note: if you don't like /usr/pkg, you can choose a different root. In contrast
> > to ports, that's much better tested and should work out of the box.
> >

> >>I also saw that pkgsrc in the dragonfly incarnation uses bmake, whats up
> >>with that why not make?
> >

> > NetBSD's make (aka bmake) and our make are not feature compatible. It is unsure
> > whether they can ever be, but making them more compatible is one of Max's goals,
> > if I'm not mistaken.
> >

> Aha, last question before I install pkgsrc too :-) :
> I presume that it's only a default to install pkgsrc ports in the pkgsrc
> LOCALBASE, say that I like to install apache in /usr/local but my pkgsrc
> LOCALBASE var is set to /usr/pkg how should I proceed?
>
> --
> mph

You can specify variables on the command line to bmake the same way as
with our make, so you could try 'bmake LOCALBASE=/usr/local install'
after you have made the package.  This may or may not work.  If not,
just write a script to parse the output of 'pkg_info -f apache' and
copy/link files manually.

-todd[1]