Re: Two way journaling timeframe?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:50:39 -0700 (PDT)

:Hi,
:I was wondering what the timeframe for two way journaling currently
:looks like. The feature I'm after for the most part is being able to
:divert a copy of the journal to a (huge) backup machine and in case of
:trouble go back the last X days or so (sort of like generational backup
:on steroids).
:
:I'd appreciate any comments (something along the line of "not ready
:before 2006" is fine, too) on this.

    Well, it's been stalled out while I've been working on other things,
    like the SPLs, but I certainly hope to have it fully working by the
    end of this year.  Several people have expressed interest in helping
    out.

    Where we are with this is that most of the forward journaling works...
    that is, it generates journal records.  The 'UNDO' records still need to
    be implemented, the two-way protocol still needs to be implemented, and
    some sort of emergency swap backing store still needs to be implemented
    (though I'm beginning to think maybe I shouldn't try to do that in the
    kernel itself).  Finally the userland backend program to handle the
    receiving side of the journal has to be implemented.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>