Re: networking question...

From: "Thomas E. Spanjaard" <tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 11:03:31 +0200

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:is it possible to somehow route some of server1's public ip's through
:server1 to em1 on server0, so that server0 can make use of server1's
:bandwidth? if so, how would this be done? if not, any other
:suggestions? i hope it is clear what i am trying to say, networking is
:not my area of expertise (i'm sure that is clear) :)
    You can route outgoing bandwidth, but not incoming bandwidth.

However, you might be able to use mechanisms the application layer protocols might have (http, ftp) to redirect connections to another IP. You could introduce some sort of flag which gets checked on every HTTP request, and enable a redirect to the other IP if the flag is set. How this would be implemented I'm not entirely sure, but with CGI/SSI/PHP/etc I'm sure there's a possibility. For other services like ftp, I think it depends on the capabilities of the used software.

Good luck,
		-- Thomas E. Spanjaard
		   tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx