Re: Sugestion: DragonFlyBSD Hackathon?

From: "Thomas E. Spanjaard" <tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 19:18:07 +0200

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
Last I checked, we were a virtual community, no? Can't something be setup "electronically" to pull together the various hackers?

That's possible, but one of the cool things about a hackathon is the meet & greet in real life with the other characters on the MLs, IRC, etc. And you can smack sloppy coders in the face if they made a bugaboo :P.

EU developers already sound organized, with looking at meeting near Liverpool this summer ... who do we have NA based, and where? Is there a central location where all could 'meet and go online'? Or maybe setup two locations?

Well, organized... it's basically an idea in it's infancy, which should become solid at the end of next month. In Liverpool, there's this guy called Liam Foy, who has offered his place and uplink for a couple of days. Don't imagine it to be large though.

With all the various IMs, and webcams, and such, it shouldn't be too hard to make a 'virtual convention center', no? Provide lurkers with a "look, but don't speak" view on things, and have 'active hackers' register as non-lurkers ... ?

Pfew, that's something for a bigger event, and you lose out on meeting real persons. Social bonding is a strong plus for keeping a project together and fueled with new ideas (that's why multiple overseas branch offices working on the same thing work out only slowly).

Cheers,
		-- Thomas E. Spanjaard
		   tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx