Re: Default tar for 1.3 and later

From: Raphael Marmier <raphael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 22:57:51 +0200

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 03:35:58PM +0200, Raphael Marmier wrote:

[...]

On the other hand, of course, if those path problems have been fixed (for tar archives), its another matter entirely.

The default is safe.

End of argument then, at least for me.

But tar being used for stuff like backups, I consider the move with anxiety. The default should point to a tool that don't have unexpected behaviour, I insist.

Well, I consider GNU tar kind of unexpected too :) BTW, we are the only
BSD still using GNU tar (FreeBSD moved to BSD tar, Net and Open are using
the pax frontend).

pssst, MacOSX still defaults to gnu tar, at least 10.3 (I have yet to install 10.4)
.... please don't bash me! ouch! aouh!

Raphael