Re: PC-BSD

From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:13:14 +0200 CEST

Raphael Marmier <raphael@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 	No. Multiple instances of the same application can
> > always share the same read only pages backed by
> > the file they came from.
>
> ah, ok. ;) so I join myself to your question.

If the system is smart enough to see that two (or more)
libs in separate locations are of one and the same version,
enabling savings, this is a gain over static linking, in terms
of RAM.

I.e. separate apps sharing the same version of a library
in memory, the app/lib/foo.so being either the fallback,
or the version hint. (use this version, if already loaded,
otherwise use this actual file.)

I've always assumed this is how BeOS works, but
I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me,
especially if this isn't possible for some technical reason.

/Jonas Sundström.              www.kirilla.com